Raving about makeup, skincare, hair and other little obsessions... A Beauty Blog

Monday, March 4, 2013

How I Made My (Asian) Hair Softer and Shinier

As hard as it is to believe, I've finally reached a beauty goal of mine! I've finally achieved softer and shinier hair despite my genetics dictating that I should have coarse, straight-like-sticks, Asian hair. This post isn't a tutorial because I don't have the universal answer for soft and shiny hair. I only know what works for me now. It may or may not work for you (because your hair and mine are not the same). Please take what I say as tips and hopefully they are helpful!


I've experimented with different shampoos over the past two years. Along with fighting back dandruff and poor attempts at preventing hair fall, I was also aiming for softer and smoother hair. I've always envied all the Caucasian women with their soft silky hair (particularly the blondes). My target was reached when I started using Clear Scalp & Hair Beauty Therapy Total Nourishing Care Shampoo and Conditioner consistently. Boy, that was a mouthful! I noticed my hair became a lot softer. Not as soft as those blonde ladies, of course. Genetics still holds me back. Nevertheless I was pleasantly surprised.

I've always made hair oil a part of my routine now. Currently, I'm using Dove Nutritive Therapy Nourishing Oil Care Nutri-oil Serum. What's with hair products and long names? I apply it once a day. I usually use it after I've washed and blow-dried my hair. It helps my hair stay soft and gives my strands a really nice shine without looking greasey/oily.




My tips
  • Keep trying different shampoos and conditioners if you can. I think the trick is to find the right one that works for your hair. Herbal Essences works for a good friend of mine and she has Asian hair too! 
  • I think hair oils/serums are important. You can't have soft and shinier hair with dry and malnourished locks! 
  • I only wash my hair twice a week, thrice at most. I think it's important to not over-wash. It allows your own natural scalp oils to nourish your hair (at the roots particularly).
  • I try to rinse my hair with cold water (or as cold as my body can stand it). I've read articles explaining that it closes the cuticles, making the hair shinier. 
I hope this post helps you in achieving your dream hair. Good luck! 

Do you have any hair softening or shining tips? Please do share!

No comments:

Post a Comment