Raving about makeup, skincare, hair and other little obsessions... A Beauty Blog

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Fudge Urban Colour Chalk Review + Demo


Fudge Urban Colour Chalk in Pumped-up Purple
Claims: "creates vibrant, coloured hair instantly without commitment."
RRP: AUD9.99
Packaging: 5 out of 5
Review:  I've been holding off reviewing this product because I love it to bits but I know that it's not perfect. This is the first hair chalk that I've come across that works on my black hair, which is the number one reason why I love it! All the other hair chalks say "only for blondes, brunettes and red-heads". I got really excited when I saw that an Asian girl with black hair was used in one of their promotional images. I will come back to this point later.


I like the packaging. For something that is very affordable, the plastic jar has a good quality feel to it. They have designed it such that the application is easy and mess-free. You basically hold the jar and run the chalk dome over your hair. The potential problem that I can imagine is that the dome will flatten as I use it and it will eventually become harder to apply. I'll keep you posted on that front.

Okay, now here comes the part that makes me sad. It applies beautifully on my hair and the colour is very vibrant... initially.


As you can see in the photo above the colour is bright and stands out against my dark hair. Sorry about the photo, I didn't realise that my camera was a bit out of focus.



Here's what the colour looks like after a few minutes. It's becomes dull and blends in with my hair. You may prefer it this way but I prefer it to stay bright and vibrant. Dark hair is a pain to work with! I've tried hairspray to make the colour last but I've notice that the vibrancy disappears the moment the spray hits the hair. Even though the instruction say to work the product with your fingers after you apply it, I find that it just takes a lot of the chalk off and I lose a lot of colour. I have a feeling that light-haired ladies don't have as much difficulty with this product as I do. Fudge never made any claims of this product being long-lasting (at least not that I am aware of). So I applaud them for their honesty.

I'm thinking maybe I should get one in Iced White to layer it under the purple.  Perhaps the colour would stand out for longer and not "seep into" my hair so quickly. Will post and update if I do so!

Have you ever tried hair chalking? Did it work for you?

P.S. I've made a slight amendment to my blog post regarding the nail polish that I'm wearing (in the photo).

11 comments:

  1. ty, the colour looks great on your love the purple, such a shame about the vibrancy dying down. love your nails btw !

    multitaskingdamsel.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never thought about hair chalking because I've always worried about it coming out too vibrant and making me look like a clown! But I have to say, I really like that this product dulls down after a few minutes and loses some of its intensity. It still looks really nice on the hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried other chalks like the kevin murphy ones? I'd like to know how these compare... I always assumed the other chalks would also work on black hair because they just go over... I know that it'll show my clearly on lighter hair, but thought that would be the only difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No I haven't tried the Kevin Murphy ones because I read somewhere that it does not show up on black hair like mine.

      Delete
  4. I really want to try hair chalking because I also have dark and hard to colour hair, I'm just worried about it getting on my clothes :P

    ALSO, I filmed a tutorial for the Nike eyeshadow tutorial x

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBZLTsWV5es

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wanted to try chalks. I wasn't sure if they'd show up on my dark hair but it showed up really well on yours xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by, Coco! :) It does show up on dark hair initially but as I mentioned, it fades. :( Doesn't have much of a lasting power, which is a shame.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for this review I have been looking for a review on these chalks by someone who has really dark hair as I have dark hair. I have already bought the product but not used it yet, now really excited to use it

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've reviewed this brand on my blog, you can find it here at... www.daisychains16.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete