Raving about makeup, skincare, hair and other little obsessions... A Beauty Blog

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Wicked Wednesday: May Haul

Okay, I think I've overdone it this time. I can't believe how much I've spent in May! In April, I had told myself I'd cut down on spending. I want to bring my bank figure up by a lot. The shiny plastic card in my purse seems to keep finding it's way into machines, draining my account!

At the start of May, I bought myself a translucent setting powder. At first I was tossing up between a Laura Mercier one and a Smashbox one. But since Smashbox is a tad bit cheaper and the lady at Mecca Maxima said that I could return it within two weeks if I didn't like it, I thought I could not go wrong with it. I've been using it for a month now and am happy with it. It is the Smashbox Photo Set Finishing Powder. Review to come! So that was $40 spent.


I was watch a lot of Youtube. One of the Youtube beauty gurus that I subscribe to is pixi2woo. Tanya Burr was wearing a beautiful pink polish that I've been searching for for a very long time. I tried asking her what nail polish brand and name it is on Youtube, Facebook and Twitter for a few weeks. No reply. Finally, just when I have given up, on her next video she put it in her description box. Essie Fiji. I immediately jumped on eBay and bought one for $9. This is only because the stockists where I live lack variety and I could not be bothered going store to, asking for it.

Source: polishmehappy.blogspot.com
Then, came one of those gloomy Saturdays when my fingers itch to buy something online but I was trying my best to not. I bought myself some brush guards (I'm pretty sure there aren't any stores locally that stock them) online. It was pretty cheap: $14. But that's still money of course. It all adds up, right? In between, I was buying a lot of junk food at uni and believe me, uni food is expensive.

The end of May approached I was so busy that I had to do my Bobbi Brown makeup lesson a couple of days before the win-$500-worth-of-products competition ended. I booked for a Secret to Perfect Skin Lesson. The MUA was so nice that she ended up doing a full lesson for me for free! I was so tempted to buy a product from her because she was so nice. I told my boyfriend about it later that day and he went "so why didn't you?". The next day, I went back and bought a creamy concealer from her.


I was surprised when she took a fresh new stock from the drawer. It was tiny! Just as well Myer had a 10% off sale on cosmetics that day so I had to pay $41. Is it worth it? I'll let you know in a months time. My boyfriend's eyes nearly popped out of their sockets when he saw it. He couldn't stop commenting on how tiny it is. It is Bobbi Brown though. You get what you pay for with her products and I plan on making this product last for as long as possible. 


You're probably thinking. No, you haven't spent that much, girlie. Well, the next expenditure will probably shock a lot of my fellow Asian friends. I went to Oscar Oscar and got a $71 haircut. I have never spent so much on a haircut alone in my life. Never ever. I don't plan on doing it ever again. To be fair, the senior stylist was very professional and nice. Plus I joined their VIP mailing list and got a free $30 Aveda treatment. I also had a 25% student discount. I can't imagine how much I would have had to fork out if not for those savings. Then again, it was the savings that lured me in there. If not for them, I would never have set foot in Oscar Oscar. I tried to get my moneys worth by asking the stylist to cut off more hair. I ended up getting more than what I bargained for. Now my hair is barely past my shoulders. I'll just have to regrow it and go back to $25 haircuts. It's just me.

So that was a lot of money spent in May. I don't plan on buying anything at all this month (June). Let's see if I can live up to the challenge.

Summary
  • I spent too much money this month!!! 

Have you ever spent a lot of money on a product/service and regretted it? Do share!

2 comments:

  1. I like the look of the products you picked up! I have the Bobbi Brown corrector but I really want to try the Creamy Concealer... I'm tossing up between that and Laura Mercier Secret Camouflage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Kathryn, (once again) thanks! Ooh, that's a really tough one. I hear that the Laura Mercier one is really good too. Have you gotten the MUAs at the makeup counters to try them on for you? That usually helps me decide. :)

    ReplyDelete